Belize

Belize

Monday, May 24, 2010

Food for thought

Caesarea Philippi

In Matthew 16:13-28, Jesus brought his disciples to Caesarea Philippi for a reason when he asked the questions, Who do people say that I am? And Who do you say that I am? When Peter answers, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God,” Jesus replies, “I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.” The last line makes perfect sense when you are actually there because the mouth of this cave was believed to be the entrance into Hades in the Greco-Roman world. There were all kinds of pagan idolatry taking place right in this spot and Jesus chooses it for obvious reasons. The disciples can see firsthand the evil of this world has nothing on Christ, the Son of the living God!

1 comment: