Belize

Belize

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Christian Before American: Part 1


       Can we just stop? Seriously. You know what I’m talking about. You do, let’s be honest. Half-thought-out Facebook posts and one sentence tweets do not change people’s minds. At least not in the sense that you are hoping. Or maybe you’re not hoping to change someone’s mind, maybe you’re just trying to get a rise out of the other side or have those who are agreeable pat you on the back. Whatever your reasons, do you really think you are going to change someone’s deeply held beliefs by a few words on Facebook or Twitter? We can’t think that because it’s not possible. But we just keep at it, sharing our opinions over and over, secretly hoping to incite an argument or looking for validation and ‘likes’ from others. Who doesn’t enjoy having an argument with someone you probably don’t even know on social media? You can say whatever you want and get away with it. It’s easy, and there are no consequences because there is no relationship. However, if you really care about people and genuinely want to help them understand what you believe to be the truth, then get out from behind your phone or computer and have an actual conversation. People’s opinions and political persuasions come from deep within; from our foundational beliefs and worldview. There are reasons people believe what they believe. If you want to help someone see the light, then stop just talking about politics (and the normal day to day stuff) and start talking about his worldview, which is the very thing that informs his [political] opinions.

For me personally, I only post something after I’ve thought long and hard about it, even if it’s something trivial or noncontroversial. Why? Because everything shared on the Internet can be taken the wrong way by someone, somewhere and I am called to do what the Bible says, “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” (Romans 12:18) On the flip side of that I am also called to share the truth…in love (Ephesians 4:15, 25). Sometimes this can lead to the strain of a relationship or being at odds with a culturally acceptable viewpoint. That is okay because it is more important for someone to hear the truth than for him or her to like you. So, I should be seeking to share the truth as I seek (if possible) to live at peace with others. What I really struggle with, however, is when Christians seek to do neither. It seems many today are actually trying to make enemies like it is our Christian duty or something. Or perhaps we are just arguing from an ‘American First’ perspective. And when it comes to truth, Christians can be the biggest offenders in sharing things that are not true. From fake news stories to bogus websites to anything that sounds like we might agree with it, without even checking its sources. I am blown away by the amount of people who share articles that haven’t actually read them. This is truly mind-boggling to me, especially as a Christian who is seeking out truth and looking to share it. What a devastating way to turn off an unbeliever to Christ because we are careless in sharing the truth and only want to win an argument.

So this I have to say something about. I named this blog post what it is because I must continually remind myself of who I am at the core of my being. I have had this title in my head for some time now but have seen similar titles pop up on the Internet in recent days. As John Piper recently said in one of his articles: “Followers of Christ are not Americans first. Our first allegiance is to Jesus, and then to the God-inspired word of Scripture, the Bible. This is our charter, not the U.S. Constitution.” (http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/how-to-live-under-an-unqualified-president) Yes, we are called to be good citizens, be involved in the political process, to submit ourselves to the governing authorities, and pay taxes (Romans 13:1-7). Yes, let’s even be patriots but ultimately our citizenship is in heaven (Philippians 3:20). The Word of God must inform our beliefs, not the popular opinion of our desired political party. As you read the Bible, have you sought to understand its true meaning? Do you know what it says about when life begins, gender and gender equality, human rights, immigrants and refugees and every other controversial issue today? There are by no means easy answers for any of these but it seems a lack of compassion on all sides has only made the divide even wider. Of all the differing opinions out there of Jesus, I would say no one believes that He lacked compassion. We are called to be like Jesus and seek to do what He did (see Matthew 9:36). However, today we have allowed worry and fear and a sense of nationalism to be the driving forces behind our beliefs and have all but let compassion go out the window. Compassion is a word that we have left to the spiritually elite, when in fact it is a word that should merely define the normal Christian life. So, if compassion is a word that defines the everyday Christian, how should we then live? I will explore this in part 2 of this post.

For further reading, please check out these well thought out and balanced approaches to living the Christian life in the midst of a divided America (although I do not agree with everything said here, I think this is a good place to start):



No comments:

Post a Comment