Belize

Belize

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Jacob: A Story of Transformation

      
           My uncle once asked me if I had ever seen someone’s life completely change because of a relationship with Jesus. After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that, yes, I knew of people like this but not really anyone I was close to. Or most Christians I knew had become one when they were younger. All of that changed, however, when I met Jacob.
            Jacob was your typical high school kid. He liked girls. He played sports. He went to church. But he was also very shy and quiet. He would come to youth group on occasion where I was youth pastor and even attended a winter ski retreat once. He seemed like a good guy but I could barely pry two words out of his mouth so I didn’t really have any sense of where he was on his faith journey. One day when the youth group was serving at a homeless shelter, I got a call from Jacob saying he wanted to join us. Before that I hadn’t heard from him in a few months. For some reason that day he seemed different. He was more outgoing; he played with the kids, and helped with yard work. Something in him was changing. Little did I know, God was already beginning a work in him.
            That summer I was planning on taking the youth to a beach camp. I had invited Jacob but it seemed unlikely he could go because of summer lacrosse commitments. I gave up asking him until I found out he had sustained a sports injury and wouldn’t be doing any running for a while. After much urging from his mother and I, we finally convinced him to go. He seemed happy enough about it but was skeptical of the coming experience. His skepticism of the camp was confirmed when we arrived. The leaders and counselors were way too crazy and happy for him. He and Rama joked together, “Looks like this week was a waste of $260!” But they soon realized this was more than a bunch of people with a case of Buddy the Elf syndrome. These people had real joy. Real love. And they wanted to share it with everyone.
            The week was full of sessions that included music, live drama, and challenges from God’s Word. It didn’t take long for Jacob to feel the need for a real relationship with Jesus. He went forward immediately after the first session to be prayed for and begin his journey of following Jesus. The conviction was palatable as he shared with me everything God was telling him, tears streaming down his face. Jacob was completely letting go of his old life and wholeheartedly embracing the new. He was dying to himself and it was painful but it was the only way to truly follow Jesus and live.
            Throughout the week, our youth group met each night to share what was going on with one another. Jacob’s openness and honesty with the rest of the group helped create a safe environment for others to share. The Holy Spirit was definitely on the move among our group as one after the other shared what God was doing in them and the need for change to take place. Confession and tears followed by many hugs was the norm that week. You cannot recreate that kind of environment again in hopes of sparking a revival. The Spirit must be on the move and people must be willing to do whatever it is God is leading them to. No deals. No excuses. Just total surrender.
            As a youth pastor, I have often wondered when a student has had a profound spiritual experience at a camp or on a mission trip, if it will really stick or not. Just like Jesus’ parable of the sower, was this seed in Jacob’s life planted in good soil? When we returned home, Jacob seemed like a completely different person. At youth group, he no longer just talked to his friends, but to everybody. He started hugging everyone too and telling them God loved them. Before long, others followed suit and we became one of those “hugging youth groups.” He invited his friends to church and established a wider influence with kids at school. He began having a heart for the down and out, and the lonely. He started reaching out to homeless people, as well. He decided to pick up the guitar and begin learning worship songs so he could help lead music. He got baptized. He would read the Bible and pray for long periods of time and then discuss specific verses with me that needed clarification. He was directly involved with other students coming to Christ, having an eternal impact. When others shared testimonies at youth group or at a baptism service, Jacob’s name would get brought up more and more as someone who had an influence on them. We began a discipleship group for high school guys of which Jacob was a part and would help lead. He began going on mission trips and growth continued. When he struggled with things, he confessed them and sought accountability. When he had doubts, he dug deeper into God’s Word and kept praying and believing. I share all these things not to exalt Jacob as a spiritual hero but to show what God can do with one person who is truly following Christ. He didn’t make a plan about how he would follow God someday “later in life,” nor did he make excuses for the here and now. He simply sought after God upon leaving that summer camp and didn’t look back.
            Jacob is one of the most humble people I know. He wouldn’t say any of these things about himself and that’s why I’m doing it. He went from being one of the shyest and most reserved people I’ve ever met to one of the most outgoing I’ve ever met. Any psychology class will tell you that a person’s personality does not really change like that. How is that possible without Jesus? He is a disciple through and through and he is helping others to become disciples too.
           
            Jacob is now a sophomore at Liberty University. He continues to lead worship for youth and is helping teach a college-age Bible study. He prays with people on the spot if they are in need. He is actively seeking what direction God wishes to take his life. The most recent description someone shared with me about Jacob is this: “He is just like a little Jesus,” they said. These are profound words. When was the last time you or I were described in this way? May we all seek to become like a little Jesus.

Blessings,
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment