Belize

Belize

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Lion of Judah (or Theology with Thirteen-Year Olds)

          
            The lion roared from the other side of the giant roll-up door…“Reese, Jesus is the Lion of Judah. Today is the day of salvation!” I exclaimed… A roaring lion doesn’t usually bring comfort, but in this case it did.

            A little over a year ago I had the opportunity to take a group of around 40 students on a winter retreat conference. With that many middle and high school students, a trip is never without its drama but God had some things to teach and reveal to me that weekend as well as the students. In ministry, I think we sometimes get this notion (sadly enough) that God is working miraculously in other places but not so much with us. When we hear stories of awesome things happening at “my” church or in other parts of the world, we can become encouraged yet discouraged at the same time. But in the midst of counting heads, enforcing curfew, and bussing kids around, God was up to something.
            On the second night after the conference was over when all the kids were exercising their free time, I was surprised to find one group of mostly middle school boys, and one or two high schoolers, having a serious discussion in their room. Now when most guys this age have discussions, it usually consists of (but is not limited to) Minecraft strategy, the zombie apocalypse, or the latest video game. I mean, I had literally just walked out of my own room of middle schoolers who were getting ready to play a game of  “zombies in the dark” (whatever that was). But this other group of guys was in the midst of something deep. I came in and sat on the edge of the couch as the discussion continued unhindered. Apparently God had been speaking to Reese throughout the weekend about a relationship with Him. Reese wasn’t interested in just jumping into something without having thought it through long and hard. I didn’t know Reese very well because he was just friends with some of our regular attendees. This was only the second time I had met him. I realized in just a short time though, that even as a 13 year old, this kid was incredibly deep and contemplative. So, what was this whole discussion about? Basically Reese had been asking questions about God, a relationship with Jesus, and living the Christian life while one by one these other guys took turns answering him. And let me tell you, these were not your typical middle school answers. These were solid, Biblical ones. Granted, I might have explained things in a little bit different way but the beautiful thing about the whole discussion is that I really didn’t have to. As Christians, we believe we have the Holy Spirit of God residing in each of us, speaking in us, to us, and through us, no matter the age. I sat there for nearly an hour with a subtle grin on my face, never uttering a word. This theological discussion with mostly 13 years olds wasn’t started or finished by me, and I was the youth pastor.
            The next morning, we attended our last session of the conference. The speaker shared an incredible message and asked if anyone was interested in having a relationship with Christ. Reese, along with many others went forward. Myself and a couple other older youth guys joined him as we filed toward a back room to talk with him about it. We found a place to stand next to a large garage-type door among all the people. Reese had thought and prayed more over his decision since last night and seemed as if he was ready to take that first step in following Jesus. He then verbalized his desire to have a relationship with God to the three of us. As soon as he did this however, something strange and awesome happened that I’ll never forget. A lion began to roar…literally.
            Now before you think I’m some kind of crazy, let me explain. At the Smoky Mountain Opry Theater where the conference was, there were exotic animals backstage that weekend for some reason. My guess is it was for some show the following week or were being temporarily held there because of the large space. Some of the staff had made a few jokes about it during the weekend but that’s what everyone though it was, a joke. So, now that you have a sense of our setting, let’s get back to the story.
            The lion roared from the other side of the giant roll-up door. We all looked at each other in disbelief and with furrowed brows. I broke the silence with an epiphany. “Reese, Jesus is the Lion of Judah. Today is the day of salvation!” I exclaimed. If you have ever heard a lion roar it is somewhat terrifying but also powerful and awesome. A roaring lion doesn’t usually bring comfort, but in this case it did. After taking in the beautiful symbolic realization of that moment, we gathered around Reese and each prayed for him and then he prayed and asked Christ to lead his life. And as soon as he said “Amen”, our lion friend gave another roar of approval. It was perfect. It was beautiful. It was seemingly miraculous. We all hugged Reese and welcomed him into our family. Just then the side door a few feet away swung open but there was no one there. I swear my heart skipped a beat. Okay, so it was probably just the wind and the room was a bit breezy but it did give me goose bumps I’m not going to lie. We all looked back at each other and just smiled. We simply knew the presence of God was with us.
           
            Reese has since been baptized and is involved at a local church. Rama and Jacob were also a part of Reese’s conversion experience that day but had only been Christians for a little over a year before that. Reese had expressed his desire for Jacob to be there with him that day because he had seen how real Jacob’s faith was to himself. If someone’s faith was that real, then it must be true he thought. I hope to tell Jacob’s amazing story of transformation in a later post.

All for now. Many blessings,
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment